Are you looking for homemade methods to polish hardwood floors? So v ou need to know that probably has some very effective options in your home, like vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice or dish washing detergent.
Discover in this article 4 methods that will simplify this task. We will share the recipes and also some important tips to make the wood perfect and make it last much longer in good condition. Keep reading!
4 Methods to Polish Wooden Floors
Wooden floors give a warm, rustic and cozy appearance to any room in our home. Although they require specific care, they also offer the possibility of a long duration if we treat them in the right way.
With the right tips, we can keep wood floors looking great. We’ll just have to polish them with the specific products listed below, which are also mostly natural and homemade. Furthermore, this way we will not be unnecessarily exposed to components that can be toxic when inhaled.
1. Vinegar and essential oil
First of all, vinegar is a natural, homemade ingredient that is very common in household cleaning. In addition, we chose to combine it with a little essential oil to camouflage its smell and, at the same time, aromatize the environment in a simple and pleasant way.
- ¹⁄3 cup of vinegar (83 ml)
- 1 cup of water (250 ml)
- 15 drops of essential oil: lemon, orange, mint, eucalyptus, lavender, etc.
2. Olive oil and vinegar
The second method we propose is the combination of two basic ingredients in our kitchen: oil and vinegar. If desired, you can also add essential oils to give it a special scent.
The mixture of oil and vinegar is ideal for a deep cleaning and, at the same time, it adds a lot of shine to the floor. However, if the manufacturer recommends dispensing with water for this type of wood, we will only use the first two ingredients. We can shake them well in a spray bottle.
- 4 tablespoons of oil (60 ml)
- 2 tablespoons of white vinegar (20 ml)
- 2 cups of water (500 ml)
3. Olive oil and lemon juice
In this third method to naturally polish the wooden floor, we chose to substitute lemon juice for vinegar. This citrus fruit is characterized by its great antiseptic power, its fresh aroma and its ability to shine thanks to its enzymes.
- 4 tablespoons of oil (60 ml)
- 3 tablespoons of lemon juice (30 ml)
- 1 cup of hot water (250 ml)
4. Detergent and vinegar
Finally, a practical and homemade method, although less natural than the previous ones, is to mix the detergent we use to wash dishes with vinegar. This option should be used on hardwood floors that are not too delicate and have a lot of dirt.
- ½ cup of vinegar (125 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of detergent (15 ml)
- 2 cups of water
Extra Tips for Polishing Your Hardwood Floors
Finally, after deciding on the method of cleaning the floor, consider the following guidelines:
- Before polishing the wooden floor, it must be cleaned thoroughly. You can sweep it up with a broom or, if there is dust or fine particles, you can also use the vacuum cleaner.
- If you notice that the wood is very slippery due to excess oil, you can dry it.
- It is essential that, after polishing the floor, you wait for it to dry completely before stepping on it. Find a way to block the way to avoid accidents, especially if there are children or pets in the house.
- If you spill any liquid, you should clean it up immediately to avoid permanent damage to the wood.
- When adding essential oils, you need to ensure they are pure and of high quality. Avoid purchasing synthetic essences that are sold only for flavoring and that can harm the wood.
Okay, now you know 4 methods to polish floors in a homemade and natural way, and that leave them in good condition for a long time. In addition, these latest tips will help you to make your cleaning more effective and the result much brighter. Try it and you will see the results from the first moment!