Have you ever noticed that your tongue was white? The tongue is one of Organs most important and useful organs in our body. It allows us to speak and distinguish flavors and, therefore, it must always be clean.
A white tongue is a result of the accumulation of bacteria, dead cells and a sign that something may not be right with our health.
Smoking, alcoholism, dehydration, use of certain medications, and poor oral hygiene are often some of the most common causes for white tongue. However, this can also be a symptom of oral thrush, leukoplakia, and other conditions.
When the white tongue starts to appear, we notice only a few spots. As the problem progresses, these spots get bigger until they cover the entire tongue.
Depending on the cause, there will be different treatments. Therefore, there is no general treatment for white tongue itself, but rather for the reason it is causing it.
Above all, the most important thing is to follow the doctor’s guidelines and, at the same time, try to improve your lifestyle. For example, if the problem is poor oral hygiene, then daily cleaning needs to be improved.
There are those who believe that the consumption of certain foods or drinks or the use of some natural remedies can improve the problem in less time. We will see some proposals.
Probiotics are bacteria that fight oral microbes and improve the immune response. This helps prevent white tongue, reduce inflammation and fight microbes that build up in the body.
- To consume probiotics, we can take some yogurt daily or probiotics in capsules.
- Yogurt is a good idea if you also want to maintain a balanced diet.
- Capsules are easy to get from health food stores.
Glycerin is a great ally to fight white tongue, as it eliminates oral bacteria and prevents them from accumulating. For the effect to be prolonged, you should use glycerin constantly. The ideal is to apply it once a day if the problem is mild, or twice a day for a very affected tongue.
- Just apply some glycerin on a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Brush your tongue for two minutes and rinse with warm or cold water.
3. Coconut oil
The coconut oil contains antibacterial ingredients that kill bacteria accumulated in the mouth. For the effect to be really what you expect, use a good quality organic coconut oil.
- 1 dessert spoon of coconut oil (5 g)
- Soft bristle toothbrush
Method of preparation
- As soon as you get up in the morning, brush your teeth with coconut oil.
- Then pay special attention to your tongue and brush it for three or four minutes.
- Rinse with cold water and then brush with your usual paste.
4. Aloe vera juice
The aloe vera juice has antifungal, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that gently remove the white layer that is formed on the tongue.
We recommend using freshly extracted natural aloe vera juice instead of industrialized options.
- First, use two tablespoons of aloe vera juice to brush your teeth. Do this by taking the time to ensure that the entire mouth has been sanitized.
- Then brush with your usual paste.
5. Sea salt
Sea salt is another surefire remedy to fight white tongue. Even though we can use regular salt, we recommend marine salt because it has larger grains that facilitate exfoliation.
Salt removes dead cells that accumulate on the tongue, is a great antiseptic and kills bacteria.
- Just take a pinch of sea salt and apply it directly to your tongue.
- Brush with your toothbrush for about three minutes and rinse with warm water.
Turmeric is antibacterial and helps to remove the white layer that builds up on the tongue. To maximize its power, we recommend using a little lemon juice. This way it will be easier to brush.
- Just take a dessert spoon of turmeric and mix it with the juice of a lemon.
- Use the brushing paste for three minutes and rinse with cold water.
According to some beliefs, mint would not only help fight bad breath, but also the bacteria that cause a white tongue. Therefore, some people make mint rinses with aloe vera to combat bad breath.
In one study, the effects of aloe vera gel with mint to combat dry mouth and improve the oral health of patients admitted to an Intensive Care Unit were evaluated.
The researchers concluded that the use of this rinse can be beneficial in some cases, for example, to reduce the incidence and severity of mucus.
Tips to avoid white tongue
As you can see, there are several natural remedies to eliminate bacteria that have accumulated on your tongue. We recommend that once the problem has been eliminated, you take the following precautions to prevent it from appearing again:
- Brush your teeth at least three times a day. Sounds like obvious advice, but it’s common to skip brushing, especially midday brushing.
- Get a dental checkup periodically.
- If you have already noticed an excess of bacteria, it is necessary to maintain hygiene as much as possible. Use dental floss and mouthwash at least 4 times a week.
- Drink enough water throughout the day. In addition to keeping you hydrated, water also helps eliminate bacteria that build up in your mouth. You don’t have to force yourself to drink two liters, but you do need to drink more than 3 glasses of water a day. And a little more if you do physical activity.
Do you know other home remedies to eliminate white tongue? Let us know which works best for you.