Diet To Avoid Dehydration: What To Keep In Mind

Our bodies need to receive a good amount of fluids daily to stay active and avoid the risk of dehydration. Know what foods to eat next.
Diet to avoid dehydration: what you should keep in mind

When the body does not have enough water to perform its functions correctly, we are faced with dehydration. To prevent dehydration (which can also have medium- and long-term health consequences), we can implement certain diet-related measures.

Everyone needs to drink an amount of water (depending on age, weight and gender)  throughout the day. However, this intake should not only come from glasses of water, but also from food.

According to the World Health Organization, 20% of the daily amount of water needed by the body must come from fruits and vegetables.

There are people who should pay more attention to ways to prevent dehydration, as they are more likely to be affected if they do not take the corresponding measures. This is due to the fact that, for one reason or another, their bodies have a higher consumption of fluids through perspiration, frequency of urination, etc.

  • Kids.
  • Athletes.
  • Pregnant women.
  • Patients with chronic illnesses.
  • Senior citizens. 

These people should further monitor their water consumption, in addition to consuming foods rich in this liquid daily.

diet for dehydration
In addition to increasing water consumption, we can eat foods rich in this component.

Essential Foods in a Diet to Avoid Dehydration

Food should correspond to about 30% of the body’s fluid intake ; the other 70% are considered products of the beverages consumed. It is important to know which solid foods have the most water to maintain a balanced diet.

Vegetable

Vegetables provide a lot of vitamins and nutrients that are important for health. Some of them provide more water than others. Lettuce, for example, is one of the most beneficial in a diet to avoid dehydration: 95% of its composition is water and its freshness makes it the best ally in summer salads.

Other vegetables such as broccoli, spinach and carrots also contribute a lot. Ideally, steam them to retain all their properties.

There are many tasty and healthy recipes for preparing nutritious dishes based on these ingredients.

fruit

Food rich in water
Vegetables and fruits have a high water content in their composition.

Watermelon, citrus and other seasonal fruits are good sources of fluid for the body. In addition to their nutritional benefits, they also help regulate blood pressure.

Some people prefer to consume fruit juices because they are used to it. There are many alternatives you can choose from.

water based food

Sauces and soups are other preparations through which the body receives fluids. It is also possible to consume ice cream, creams, milkshakes, shakes, etc. It’s important to have a diet that includes different options so you don’t get bored with food.

Pasta and cereals

Rice absorbs a large amount of water during cooking, which can be extended to the body. It is estimated that the masses, for the most part, contain 70% liquids. They have the advantage that they can be eaten hot or cold, as you prefer.

Tips to prevent dehydration

Green tea
Another way to increase your water consumption is to drink infusions or filling beverages.

Even if you don’t feel thirsty, that doesn’t mean your body doesn’t need to drink some fluid. So always keep a bottle of water in sight.

If you are not used to it, a good way to drink more water is to opt for infusions, teas or other beverages of your choice, to get used to incorporating liquids into your routine throughout the day.

It is not mandatory to drink only pure water. In fact, it’s been proven that people drink more fluids when choosing drinks they like to consume. Sweet drinks and those containing caffeine work positively on a diet to prevent dehydration.

Also, experts recommend that adults drink about two liters of water (approximately) to avoid dehydration.

What are the symptoms of dehydration?

  • Thirst
  • Fatigue
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Dry mouth
  • dry eyes
  • Headache
  • muscle cramps
  • Changes in urine color, among others.

In short, to avoid dehydration, you must  maintain good lifestyle habits, regardless of the time of year. However, during the warmer seasons, you should be even more aware of how much water you drink. As always, prevention will always be the best way to avoid negative health consequences.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button