Eating healthy means improving your mood. Therefore, there are those who propose to regularly drink a “happiness” drink like the one we are going to present. This will help to complement the psychological and pharmacological approach to dealing with depression.
First of all, it must be clarified that depression is a very serious disorder and should only be treated with a psychologist or psychiatrist. It cannot be resolved with food alone, but by adopting a series of good lifestyle habits, in addition to undergoing therapy.
A study at the University of Mysore and the Department of Food Technology Research indicates that healthy nutrition improves mental health.
The role of food in depression
Eating alone will not cure this type of psychological disorder, but it can contribute, for example, to improving brain biochemistry so that the patient feels a little better. However, this does not mean that depression can be treated without professional guidance.
No home remedy can replace professional assessment, although an adequate diet can be added to the indications, especially if it contains certain nutrients. In fact, a Harvard Medical School article claims that supplementing healthy eating with therapy and personal care promotes psychological well-being.
Happiness drink: a supplement to improve mood
In this space, we are going to present this “happiness” drink. It’s a popular, nutritious and tasty recipe with certain elements that can serve to improve the brain chemistry that so often orchestrates discouragement and low energy.
The Importance of Increasing Serotonin and Dopamine Production
Serotonin and dopamine levels often change in the body for a variety of reasons. Stress, anxiety and depression are some of them. These two neurotransmitters are what promote well-being and motivation.
To produce serotonin and dopamine, you need tryptophan, an essential amino acid linked to the treatment of depression in studies like the 2016 published in the journal Nutrients .
Today, as a study by the Department of Psychiatry at the University of Warneford in Oxford reveals, we know that when serotonin levels rise, depression is more likely to be dealt with.
- Daily or regular consumption of foods that stimulate the production of serotonin contributes to improving mental and physical health and, consequently, preventing depression.
- According to the Harvard Medical School article cited above, it is proven that a diet rich in fats and sugars can make a person more vulnerable to depressive states
The good news is that by incorporating foods rich in serotonin and essential amino acids, such as tryptophan, into the diet, we can reduce the risk of depression and other emotional disorders, such as stress and anxiety.
That’s where the natural drink that we’ll share next comes into play. In addition to being easy to prepare, it provides good amounts of all of these nutrients needed to help treat this condition.
How to prepare the drink of “happiness”?
This natural drink comes from a combination of ingredients such as bananas and spinach, both known for their many health-beneficial properties.
Certain studies, such as one conducted on animals at Bahauddin Zakariya University, Multan, Pakistan, reveal the supposed benefits of bananas in reducing the impact of depression and improving memory.
In contrast, other research applied to humans, such as one published in the Journal of Psychiatry and Neuroscience , states that the serotonin contained in bananas does not cross the blood-brain barrier. Therefore, more studies are needed to effectively discover its effects on brain chemistry.
However, to this potential effect of bananas, we must add that of spinach, which appears in medical publications as a positive food for this problem. The reason is its content of antioxidants, which fight free radicals responsible for brain damage.
In addition, this drink also contains some ginger, flaxseed oil and peanut butter. Such ingredients increase the feeling of well-being because of the following characteristics:
- Ginger: according to Food Chemistry , it is a food with significant content of antioxidants, whose effects were described above.
- Flaxseed Oil: The WebMD article cited above talks about selenium in seeds, including flaxseeds, as an important nutrient for maintaining a good mood.
- Peanut butter: according to what is explained in the same article, it is advisable to eat this food, as it is a natural source of protein, which provides energy and makes the person more alert.
Remember, this recipe contains a lot of calories. To be sure of its suitability for your particular case, it is recommended to consult a nutritionist.
- Banana (1 unit).
- Spinach (1 handful).
- Peanut butter (1 tablespoon or 15 grams).
- Flaxseed oil (1 tablespoon or 14 grams).
- Ginger (1 teaspoon or 5 grams).
- ½ liter of water or vegetable milk.
Method of preparation
- Peel the banana and cut it into pieces.
- Wash the spinach well and place it in a blender with the banana.
- Stir in peanut butter, flaxseed oil and ginger.
- Add the vegetable milk or water and beat until you get a smooth mixture.
Remember that to fight depression, diagnosis and treatment with a psychologist or psychiatrist is essential. In addition to what the professional advises, you can add beneficial activities such as doing an exercise routine and consuming foods that you know are healthy for your body.