If you’re reading this, it’s because you know how to cook and are also interested in the best recipes. So making the century-old Waldorf salad is a fascinating challenge. And the best? You will be able to do it in the comfort of your own home!
In this article, we explain the origin of this historic recipe and how to prepare it step by step. Keep reading!
the Waldorf salad
To talk about what a delicious Waldorf salad is, it’s necessary to go through a bit of history and take you to New York City in the late 19th century. So you can understand where it comes from and what its elegant name owes.
The first thing you need to know is what the recipe is about, don’t you think? The truth is that, in the late 1800s, salad was made up of the following ingredients: sour apples, nuts, white cabbage, lettuce, sour cream and some raisins or blue cheese.
Over time, the Waldorf salad gained a lot of prestige. It has become one of the most sought after hotels in the world with the greatest refinement and positive considerations: the current Waldorf-Astoria .
An original recipe and a current variation
It is very important that you keep in mind that, for this small adaptation, we will change the recipe published a little over a hundred years ago. Today it is served in the way we will show you a little below and it will be the way you do it at home.
Learn how to make the amazing Waldorf salad
Original Waldorf Salad (1893)
As we said before, the date of this recipe is very old. Few recipes still maintain the vigor and fame that this one has. If you are curious and want to try to imitate the challenge of making this salad, here we show all the requirements and steps you should follow.
- 2 cups of white celery (250 g)
- 2 red apples
- 1 pear
- 2 tablespoons of shelled walnuts (30 g)
- 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley (30 g)
- 1 tablespoon of honey (25 g)
- 1 tablespoon of lemon zest (15 g)
- 3 tablespoons of cream (45 ml)
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice (30 ml)
- First, wash and separate the celery stalk from the rest of the plant.
- Then sprinkle it very well with lemon juice.
- Let it sit for 2 minutes to get some of the juice flavor.
- Meanwhile, cut apples and pear into thin slices.
- Then add the fruit slices to the celery and stir a little. If you wish, you can do it with your hands.
- Peel off the walnuts and set aside.
- Then add the tablespoons of parsley to the celery and fruit mixture.
- Do the same with the walnuts and honey spoon.
- To finish, add the cream to the mixture and start to stir everything until you realize that the ingredients have been integrated.
- Finally, serve and enjoy a tasty Waldorf salad.
Waldorf Salad Recipe (adapted)
- 1 cup of mayonnaise (235 g)
- 2 tablespoons of sugar (30 g)
- 3 tablespoons of lemon juice (45 ml)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 4 small red apples
- 2 medium celery stalks with leaves
- 1 cup of walnuts (150 g)
- First, wash the celery stalks thoroughly. Don’t get rid of the leaves, as we’ll use them at the end of the recipe.
- Chop the celery well and set aside.
- Then cut apples into cubes and pour in lemon juice so they don’t oxidize.
- Cut the walnuts to a size suitable for eating.
- Then mix the remaining lemon juice with mayonnaise, salt and sugar. The idea is that it is a consistent sauce.
- Finally, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and add the touch of sauce you just made. Refrigerate for 40 minutes before serving and garnish with celery leaves.