Lentils, like the rest of pulses, are basic to healthy eating. They are rich in fiber, proteins and essential nutrients for anyone.
So, it’s worth answering… do you consume them on a regular basis? Do you like lentils? Or do you usually exclude them because you think they will make you gain weight?
Most pulses are low in fat and offer us several benefits, but among them, without a doubt, lentils are one of the best options we can choose.
They are spongy, velvety and delicious, so rich in antioxidants and other nutrients that they are often the basis for many vegetarian diets given their high protein content. Would you like to know everything that lentils can do for you? So keep reading our article!
Lentils: a natural source of healthy proteins
You will be pleased to know that in countries like India, where many people choose not to eat animal meat, a large part of daily protein is obtained thanks to lentils and soy.
Thus, it is possible that in your case, every time you see the lentils, you immediately associate them with these high-protein and high-calorie dishes, where we add sausage, ham, potatoes, etc.
They are delicious in every way, offer a lot of versatility and are an important food in many homes. So it’s worth taking a moment to understand a little more what all its benefits are.
Is it true that lentils get fat?
We will start with this point that certainly interests us all. It is a fact that lentils contain a high caloric content, but it is the same content as rice or chicken meat.
The secret is, then, in balance, and in consuming them in moderation. With the exact, adequate amount, we can reap great benefits when losing weight:
- Lentils are rich in zinc, a mineral that helps regulate hunger and therefore the need to snack between meals. A normal dish of lentils can make us very full.
- They contain basic proteins in weight-loss diets, after all, they provide firmness to the muscle and help prevent sagging.
- Lentils contain a very interesting dose of potassium, which will prevent us from accumulating fluid and becoming bloated.
- The secret to making lentils help you lose weight is to cook them properly. So, how about we prepare a delicious salad with them?
Rich in protein but very digestive
One of the drawbacks of proteins is that they tend to take a long time to be digested. When we eat, for example, a fillet of meat, it takes a long time for digestion and for the nutrients to be absorbed by the intestine.
In the case of lentils this does not happen. This is because they have a type of amino acid that facilitates digestion, as long as we combine them with the right foods.
So, if we add sausage, bacon and ham, of course, it will be more difficult to digest them than if we choose to eat them with carrots or zucchini.
Another advantage of lentils is their fiber content and their low lipid content, something that will help us a lot to regulate our weight while facilitating the intestinal transit.
Natural source of nutrients
They are versatile, tasty and a natural source of vitamins, minerals and proteins. How to resist? These pulses consumed virtually all over the world can do a lot for you. Write down your interesting composition:
- Vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B6, C and E.
- Folic acid
We can eat a plate of lentils once or twice a week, combining them with the most suitable foods to take care of our overall health. Only then will they offer us all these benefits:
- Fight constipation.
- They take care of our colon.
- They regulate the level of cholesterol in the blood.
- They fight stress thanks to their adequate level of B-complex vitamins.
- They offer us calcium, very suitable for regulating osteoporosis and decalcification.
- Lentils are very suitable for diabetics.
- To fight anemia.
- It is advisable to consume lentils during lactation and pregnancy due to their folic acid and protein content. Furthermore, they strengthen teeth, bones, hair, skin and nails…. And they are delicious!
Easy and fresh lentil salad
- 400 g of cooked and drained lentils
- 50 g of non-fat fresh cheese
- 5 cherry tomatoes
- 1 grated carrot
- 3 g of parsley
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 10 olives
- 3 tablespoons of canned corn
- 1 pinch of oregano
- Olive oil
- White vinegar (to taste)
- Preparing this salad is very easy and fast. First, chop the onion, grate the carrot into thin strips and cut the fat-free fresh cheese into cubes.
- Then add the cooked lentils into a bowl. Then add the corn, carrots, cheese, chopped onion and parsley. Stir very well.
- Finally, add the olives and season with the oregano, vinegar and olive oil. Stir well and serve yourself.
It will be delicious, be sure to try it!