Who doesn’t like a delicious parsnip? There is such a variety of recipes to prepare it that we could make a different one every day for several months. The intense flavor and creamy consistency are an invitation to enjoy this delicious dessert. We’re sure you’ll want to repeat it after you’ve tasted the second one.
One of the most desired pans are the ones made of egg and that’s what we’ll teach you to prepare today. This flan is of Spanish origin, but it has varied in the different countries where it is prepared. For example, in Argentina they add dulce de leche to it, which makes it even more irresistible.
Health benefits of homemade parsnip
The first benefits we find in this delicious dessert is that it contains iodine. We could say that a little more than 33% of the content is iodine, which makes it an important source of this element. Iodine is important for metabolism, for regulating the energy level and for the correct functioning of cells.
Iodine is an essential element in the thyroid gland, which is in charge of processing cholesterol in cells. As a nutrient it also helps to strengthen hair, skin and nails. Parsnip is a food that contains a high amount of sugar. However, its protein and mineral content make it a food with a good nutritional content. In fact, if it comes to consuming a sweet, healthy dessert, it might be one of our first choices.
We suggest that when preparing it, use skimmed milk. This will considerably reduce the fat content. Sugar provides carbohydrates, which are important, especially if you have a busy routine or are going to do some physical activity that requires energy. But it is better to use unrefined sugar. Dessert also contains other minerals such as calcium, which is important for bone strength.
Homemade Parsnip Ingredients
As you will see below, this will be a recipe that will take you a little more than an hour, but it is very easy to make. It will be the perfect dessert to surprise your family at lunch or dinner.
- 1 liter of milk.
- 8 eggs (480 g).
- 1 cup brown sugar (100 g).
- Vanilla essence to taste.
- Caramel (you can prepare it with half a cup of sugar).
- Boil the milk with sugar. Don’t forget to stir constantly until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Separate the previous mixture and allow it to cool until it becomes warm.
- Place the eight eggs in a bowl and beat them adding drops of vanilla essence to taste.
- When it has a good consistency, add the milk and sugar mixture and mix well. Then strain the final mixture well.
- Cover the bottom and edges of a mold with the caramel, which you prepared with water and sugar. Place the mixture on this mold and place in a Maria bath in an oven source.
- Cook for 50 to 55 minutes (approximately). To check that it’s done, insert a wooden toothpick. If the dish comes out dry, our homemade parsnip will be ready.
- Allow it to cool and then remove from the form.
As we mentioned before, the flan has many variants. What we share with you can also be called dulce de leche parsnip if you add the sweet along with the milk and eggs. Of course, in this case I would no longer use sugar. As for the nutritional content, I’d be adding a few more grams of fat, but it’s just as delicious.
Probably the most common of all is the vanilla parsnip. This is most likely due to the fact that it is very easy to make and always tastes delicious. In fact, our recipe could also be called vanilla parsnip, as we use vanilla to prepare it. Except that for what is properly vanilla, commercial vanilla essence is not used, but vanilla pod is used.
We invite you to get excited about preparing this delicious and easy-to-make dessert. On your next dinner, prepare it and surprise your friends and family. If you liked this recipe, try making other recipes that are equally easy and delicious.