Are you one of the people who are all the time thinking of new ideas to reduce measures? Do you just focus on the amount of fat you eat without considering anything else? In this case, you should keep reading, because we’ll tell you about the importance of reducing carbohydrates to look the way you want.
You may be surprised to find that many of your problems will be solved just by cutting down on carbohydrates. The most important thing is that you understand that you shouldn’t completely eliminate carbohydrates, but choose the healthier ones.
1. Low-carbohydrate diets fight severe obesity
If you are an overweight person, you should know that cutting down on carbohydrates can make you lose 10 pounds in 6 months. This amount may seem too low for some people. However, severe obesity is a difficult problem to fight and breaking out of this pattern can considerably reduce your medical problems such as:
- Metabolic syndrome
People who are severely obese and follow a low-carbohydrate diet have been shown to:
- Reduce triglycerides.
- Improve insulin resistance.
- Keep insulin levels stable.
With regard to weight loss, when comparing those who follow a low-fat and a low-carbohydrate diet, the results were:
- Those who followed the low-fat diet only lost between 1.9 and 4.2 pounds in 6 months.
- Those on the low-carb diet lost between 5.8 and 8.6 pounds in 6 months.
2. Diets that are based on reducing carbohydrates help overweight teenagers
We know it’s important to maintain a healthy weight at all times. However, children and teenagers must have a more intense control to avoid having health problems too early.
In a study carried out in 2000, it was proven that a diet that aims to reduce carbohydrates reduces weight and the risk of cardiovascular problems in obese adolescents. It was carried out for 12 weeks and the results were surprising: on average the participants lost about 9 kilos.
It is important to remember that, in teenagers, achieving these changes is very important when it comes to their emotional health. By achieving a healthy weight, your self-esteem and self-confidence will also increase.
3. A low-carbohydrate diet also improves mood.
Have you noticed that you are usually in a bad mood? Maybe you get depressed easily and don’t know why? In that case, you should know that a study has shown that low-carbohydrate diets help:
- Control your appetite.
- Combat insomnia.
- Reduce fatigue.
- Reduce stomach problems.
In this sense, it is important to remember that everything we eat influences brain chemistry to some extent. Just as chocolate helps you be happier, processed carbohydrates cause constant problems.
In another study it was also proven that reducing negative carbohydrates in your diet will improve your mental alertness. In other words, your ability to think and react will be much more efficient.
Some recommendations when choosing the carbohydrates you will eat
- The first thing to remember is that you need to include carbohydrates in your diet. A common mistake is to think that you must eliminate them completely in order to lose weight.
However, a healthy diet requires a moderate amount of carbohydrates for energy. If you don’t consume them, you will soon feel exhausted with the simplest activities.
- It is important that you combine carbohydrates with good quality fiber. The best options are whole grains, vegetables and fruits. On average you should consume about 18 grams of fiber to help your body process carbohydrates.
- Ask your nutritionist to teach you how to count carbohydrates and to indicate the correct amount for you. Taking this measurement is very simple, but it requires some initial training.
Now you know: watching the carbohydrates you eat is more important than avoiding fats in your diet.